Soap Making! First Batch and some quick lessons…

First batch of HOMEMADE soap has traced, been placed in molds and hardening (will check it in 5? hours? so before bedtime!)

I’ve been doing ample research about making homemade soaps and decided to make the simplest one FIRST.  So, Pure Olive Oil Soap was the best, and really only candidate.  Inspiration for the simplest of recipes came from a 2008 Little House in the Suburbs post.  Though I used the recipe calc at From Nature with Love to halve the recipe for a first try (I didn’t have enough EVOO for a whole batch.)

Recipe: 

Batch Size: 3 pounds (48 ounces)

Olive Oil: 48.0 ounces
 
Sodium Hydroxide (NaOH/Lye): 6.4 ounces
Water: 17.2 ounces
 
Total of Essential/Fragrance Oils: 2.1 ounces
Essential Oil: Essential Oil: Peppermint (Wild Mint), China

The EO was a lot less than what it called for, just a hint of peppermint oil I had in my cupboard left over from candy making.  Something to compliment the fruity smell of the EVOO.

I mixed the lye and let it sit to cool.  Warmed the oil to match the temp, and then…. stirred.  I stirred with my blender first with little result.  then with a spoon and whisk for about 45 minutes and hadn’t gotten yet to trace after over 2.5 hours of stirring.

ugh!  I don’t have HOURS to stir and wait for trace.  I’m a VERY impatient person (well sometimes, and this was one!!).

I left the house and went to pick up the cheapest stick blender I could find from Wally-world.

The mixture had cooled further while I was gone, and I stirred it some when I returned – still no trace could be found.  I unpacked the stick blender, plugged it in, and after ‘burping’ I blended.

Within a minute it had reached a nice trace.

HUZZAH!!

Into my silicone cube ice-cube tray molds, and I set them in the oven to harden a bit.

I’ll let you know how they turn out in 6 weeks after curing.  This is my first batch, and not the last.  I’m excited to do more soap and more complex soaps!!

…Having it turn out so well has been a bright point in my day after discovering my fridge’s compressor, or fan, or whatever had taken a crap and it isn’t holding the cold … and I don’t know how much of whats in it will be any good by the time the landlord can replace it.  Thank goodness for Renter’s insurance.

About these ads

1 Comment

  1. October 30, 2013 at 2:07 am

    […] my Olive Oil Castille Soap this morning.  Nice little 1.5 oz squares.  Now to allow them to dry and cure for the next 6 […]


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 258 other followers

%d bloggers like this: